Tuesday, April 17, 2012

House Hunters #2

After we left House #1 with the "vintage" kitchen, great storage and lots of potential, we headed downtown to House #2, a great little Victorian, built around 1900. Now, I've never pictured myself in a house that old, but let me tell you--the curb appeal had me hooked!

When we walked in, I loved the wall colors, the custom window coverings. They were just gorgeous! Very rich! Beautiful hardwoods. I loved the house! Then I began to realize that my furniture wouldn't look right AT ALL in the house. Yes, I want to acquire new furniture sometime in the future, but I'm not sure I'm an "antique" person. I've begun to appreciate them, living here with all the antebellum homes and such and some pieces really fascinate me. But I'm not sure it's me. The kitchen, while more updated than the previous home, still needed pretty much an entire redo to make it to my standards. Outside, there was a great yard with a wonderful deck. Maybe I could do this after all. Bedrooms and bathrooms were nice. The house felt "sturdy", well-built, especially to be as old as it is. There's no garage or carport and I'd really like to have a place to park my car! I started weighing the pros and cons. However, once I found out the price, I knew, AGAIN, it was over my budget (although I don't even really know what a practical number for my "budget" is... even as I type this!).

We started to leave and the realtor told me he thought he had a pretty good sense of what I was looking for and said that he had another house in mind that he thought might appeal to me. He told me the street name and I instantly recognized it as the location of a house I had seen online and really liked. What are the chances it was the house I had been wanting to see all along? Well, the realtor was right... he had figured out what I wanted! So, off we went to see House #3, leaving behind the Victorian with the gorgeous draperies and the great curb appeal.

No comments: