Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ashes, Ashes...

No, we aren't falling down. Today is Ash Wednesday. The beginning of Lent. Lent is a period of 40 days that begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Easter Sunday. It is a time of prayer and preparation for Christians. During this season, many believers choose to either fast or give up some luxury as a form of penitence.

Instead of "giving up" something for Lent and being in prayer during that time, I'm going to "add to"... I've decided to do random acts of kindness each day and use this opportunity to grow closer to God.

I know these acts could simply be holding the door open for someone or letting someone pull out in front of me in traffic. Those are easy. Those are also things I try to do in my daily life. I want to do something more. I want to have to make a concerted effort and do something more substantial.

Today, I've shared containers of homemade lasagna with four older members of our congregation. You may be thinking "Leftover? That's no so great." Well, it's not fresh out of the oven, no. But... these four people aren't going to have to worry about cooking a meal tonight. AND... the lasagna was really good!!

I want to think outside the box, outside my comfort zone. I have some ideas in mind... but I'm looking for others also.

No comments: