Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lists

Are you a list maker? I am. I just love a list! A few years ago, a co-worker friend gave me a book about lists. I love that book.

I carry a small spiral notebook in my purse at all times. At the front, I keep my ongoing to-do list. At the back, my grocery list. In between, various things...right now, Christmas gift ideas (for me and for others, too!).

When I accomplish a task on my to-do list, I mark it off. I don't draw a straight line through the item, I don't scribble it out, I don't simply put a checkmark or an "x" beside it. Those ways drive me nuts. I have to do it MY way (of course, since it's MY list...in MY notebook!).

Starting at the left edge of said item, I make circles, starting at the bottom of the line, then circling over to the right...tight circles so that you can't see the item anymore. Make sense? Really, I don't care if it makes sense to you or not. It's my notebook!

By the way, I have control issues. That's another blog for another time.

I don't like to be wasteful of paper, so when the front page of the to-do list is full, I go to the back of the page. Then about half-way down the back side, I realize how "fresh" a new list would look, so I re-write my list on the next clean sheet of paper and proudly wad up and pitch that pitiful old list. Screw the wastefulness...I love a clean-looking to-do list!

Right now, I have some extra lists I don't normally have--a list of things to do before I leave town this weekend, a list of things to be sure I have with my on the airplane, and of course, the "master" to-do list...almost time to freshen it up a bit...as soon as I cross some things off.

I realize how twisted I am when I try and think of new things to add to my list just so I can do them easily and have the satisfaction of marking them off. Is there a medication for this??

No comments: