Thursday, October 2, 2008

Recipes

Boy, do I have quite a collection of 'em! Not just in nice bound cookbooks, mind you. I have a 3-ring binder filled just with some of the ones I've printed off the computer (various sources, I might add). I have little recipe cards tucked here and there with things I probably have eaten somewhere and liked the tidbit so much I asked for the recipe.

In 1998 I published a family cookbook. (Yes, I'm a "published author"!) Ten years later, I am still very proud of that collection of favorites. And I'm still REALLY pissed at the UPS store for "losing" my original cookbook...the one with the chocolate gravy stains, handwritten notes and personally signed by eight of the nine children my great-grandparents raised. But that's another story.

I've considered attempting Volume 2, but maybe what I really want to do is just use my trusty computer and word processing skills to assemble and print for just a few special people (me, Bud & Pud). Bud and Pud are my kids. If you're reading this, you probably know their real names, but you know, for the sake of safety and all, I'll just refer to them as Bud & Pud. Remember--my sweetheart's name is Big Joz (for the sake of safety and all).

Anyway, what I need to do is actually start trying these recipes. If something is a big hit, type it up and insert it into the Word document. If not, pitch it and don't ever look back.

For some reason, I believe I have more sweet recipes than anything else. I think I know why this is. Not because I just love sweets (which I do, generally, but actually prefer salty food over sweet food). I think it's because my culinary skills lean toward savory things. I can throw this and this together and usually come up with something that tantalizes the taste buds. But with sweet stuff, it's a little more exact. At least for me. I'll get into all that another day.

Right now, I'm just thinking about the first recipe I'm going to prepare to see if it passes the cookbook test or not. My judges--Big Joz, Bud & Pud.

Lucky for you...when I try a recipe and it makes it to the next level, I'll share it here with you for your thoughts.

And now, the lucky winner of the first "see if it's good enough or not" recipe is..."Sinful Saltines". Stay tuned for results.

No comments: